Hey GCAA Writers! Below is some information about a fall poetry contest. You have the opportunity to win money and publication if you win, and I’m throwing in 20 points of extra credit if you submit a poem. Please read the following details. To get the extra credit, you will need to forward your e-mail to Saint Louis County Library to me, so I have confirmation that you submitted a poem. If you do not have a Saint Louis County Library card, all you have to do is visit this link to get one. (You can obtain and use a county library card if you live in the city.)
Submit something you are proud of. Revise your work before submitting. Please reach out to me with suggestions for poems to submit, and suggestions for revising your work before you submit. If you want to set up a time with me to revise something together, please do.
September 1 — October 14
Calling all young adult poets, ages of 16-21! St Louis County Library is seeking poets for our first Young Adult Poetry Contest.
Winners will receive a Visa gift card and have their poem posted to the library’s website.
How to enter:
- Complete the online entry form at www.slcl.org/teens/poetry-contest, attach your original poem and submit between September 1 and October 14, 2016.
- You will be asked to include:
Recap of Guidelines and Rules
- Open to young adults ages 16-21
- Entrant must have a St. Louis County Library card (again, here’s the link)
- Limit one poem submission per person.
- Poem can be any line length but must not exceed three (3) total pages.
- Poetry can be on any topic provided that the content is appropriate in language and subject.
- Entries accepted starting Thursday, September 1 and must be received by close of business on Friday, October 14, 2016
- Do not write your name or place any other identifying marks on the poem itself.
- Visa gift cards will be awarded for 1st place ($50) and 2nd place ($25).
- Judges’ decisions are final.
- Winners will be notified by Friday, October 28 and posted at http://www.slcl.org within a week.